Scent


 I have lost my sense  of smell not because of covid, but because of a really pathetic cold. I visited Cardiff and was shocked how much not being able to smell would affect my identification of a place.


I was walking and couldn’t tell if it smelt like bins, dog poo, fresh grass, or fresh laundry. It made it harder to form an opinion of the place which was really interesting as I’d never seen scent as a vital representation of a site. 


This has put me in a new light for thinking about design, thinking about scent when you’re identifying issues first of all, or when you’re thinking of ideas. Including wild flowers and vegetation is vital when planning a place, also regular bin changes/ collection would eliminate smells. Making sure you include bins is also vital, as it would encourage people to pick up there dog mess, and put there litter in making the site more respectable. 



Comments

Popular Posts